Linux Systems Administrator
National Mortgage Insurance Corp – Emeryville, CA 94608
NationalMI is looking for a motivated individual that wants to grow with a team – and a company – that is nimble, dynamic, and at the leading edge of technology. With virtually no legacy infrastructure, this opportunity is perfect for those that detest silos and would rather focus on building and growing the infrastructure and their own personal knowledge.
Primary responsibility of the Linux Systems Administratoris to provide support, monitoring and maintenance of Linux infrastructure, applications, and servers. In addition, this position will provide the support for MySQL database servers.
The Linux Systems Administrator will use skills in Linux and MySQL on a VMware-based virtual platform to maintain a highly-available, highly-scalable and geographically diverse infrastructure to support business critical applications. This person must be passionate about Linux and have a vigor for automating everything repetitive. Someone who learns fast and can figure things out independently – who can show us a better way of managing, monitoring, and continuously deploying updates to a secure and scalable infrastructure.
ESSENTIAL Job Duties & Responsibilities
· Provide proactive Linux and MySQL support for a multi-tiered Linux application delivery environment
· Analyze and tune systems for performance, throughput, resource utilization, high availability and scalability
· Support and maintenance of Linux security integration for LDAP authentication with existing Windows Active Directory
· Perform standard configuration, management, and maintenance tasks for VMware platform and related file systems, storage, network, and applications
· Review and deploy Linux system related and vendor supplied patches according to best practices
· Provide Linux administration and account management
· Deploy internal application software updates in multiple environments, from Development to Production, per established Change Control process
· Proactive monitoring of Linux server systems and MySQL databases
· Participate in disaster recovery and fault tolerance management and testing
· Participates in the development of policies, procedures, and resources that standardize the functioning of the IT infrastructure
· Troubleshoot and break/fix for hardware, operating system, and application software problems
· Provide escalation support to other system administrators
· In-depth knowledge of Linux (Ubuntu / RedHat) administration and multi-tier application production operations
· Previous experience administering VMware ESX
· Experience with Linux performance monitoring, tuning, troubleshooting, and security hardening
· Strong knowledge of Apache, Tomcat, PHP, Java, SMTP, DHCP, DNS, NIS, LDAP, CIFS, NFS, BIND, SNMP, load balancers, and Linux system security
· Previous system configuration experience (Chef, Puppet or CFEngine) a plus
· Strong scripting skills (e.g. Shell, Python or Perl)
· Strong database experience – MySQL replication and clustering preferred
· Experience with NetApp storage a plus
· Demonstrated strong analytical and troubleshooting skills
· Experience with managing Open Source software
· Self-motivated, self-directed, and attention to detail while working with data
· Ability to effectively prioritize and execute reporting tasks in a fast-paced, results-driven environment
· Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment with a diverse team of business and IT staff
essential Worker Competencies
· Works ethically and with integrity supporting organizational goals and values
· Displays commitment to excellence
· Completes work in a timely manner and meets deadlines
· Good verbal and written communication skills
· Meets productivity standards and achieves key outcomes
· Dependable and keeps commitments
· Contributes to building a positive team spirit and treats others with respect
· Maintains confidentiality of information and uses information appropriately
· Exhibits sound judgment when making decisions and recommendations
· Fosters collaboration toward a common vision and shared goals
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands, as this position requires up to 8 hours a day of computer work. The employee is frequently required to talk, and hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit, stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include ability to adjust focus (the ability to adjust the eye to bring an object into sharp focus) and close vision (defined as clear vision at 20 inches or less).
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly working in an office setting.
CERTIFICATES AND CERTIFICATIONS:
Bachelors in Computer Science or related IT field and/or 5-7 years of experience working within a diverse IT environment. Industry certifications related to this position a plus.
Valid Driver’s License required for travel to job sites, client and vendor locations within the United States.