Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities.
That’s Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers – and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
The Travelers Operations, Architecture & Infrastructure Systems organization is seeking an experienced and motivated Systems Engineer to join the Teradata Administration & Product Support team. This team has responsibility for administration of Travelers Teradata environments, including the execution of database changes, planning and implementing Teradata hardware and software upgrades, system configuration, workload management, capacity planning, monitoring & alerting, database design, performance tuning, and other key DBA & product support functions.
The ideal candidate will have a strong background database administration and IT infrastructure, as well as the analytic, organizational and communication skills necessary to be an effective technical leader in a highly visible role.
- Provide technical leadership and project management discipline to infrastructure projects.
- Interface with business partners and vendors to coordinate maintenance, upgrades, and environmental changes.
- Support business projects by overseeing database changes, ensuring best practices and change management processes are followed
- Design and implement client software deployment strategies to servers and workstations, including packaging of software
- Design and implement backup and recovery solutions, ensuring the company’s Teradata databases are backed up in ways which provide for optimal recoveries.
- Design and implement disaster recovery infrastructure that enables our customers to meet their Teradata disaster recovery requirements and conforms to enterprise architectural standards.
-Build strong working relationships with business and IT customers.
- Identify opportunities to update or enhance current processes and practices, striving to automate and alert where possible.
- Advocate use of Teradata technology to address business and technical requirements for infrastructure projects such as hardware migrations, software upgrades, and other database changes.
4 to 7 years of experience in distributed database or IT infrastructure roles; Teradata experience preferred
Proficient working with Linux or Unix Operating System
Expertise in one or more scripting languages
Proficient with SQL
Solid understanding of distributed IT infrastructure, including network & storage
Experience leading projects using project management methodology
- Has an advanced knowledge of tools and techniques required for area(s) of responsibility and a general understanding of the business that the assigned projects are supporting. Leverages this understanding of the business and systems environment to develop appropriate and timely solutions to daily issues. Has conceptual knowledge of varying technologies and the ability to make decisions based on that knowledge.
- Creates an atmosphere where business partner issues are dealt with professionally and in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates sound analytical and diagnostic skills dealing with issues that are loosely defined and where information is available but must be further manipulated.
- Responsibilities are assigned with latitude for setting priorities and decision making in accordance with business client priorities.
- Maintains effective partnerships across the department, and with business customers, and is able to provide management with substantive input and influence peers and project staff through an inclusive style and recognition of abilities and knowledge Planning and Project Management.
- Understands and has input to the budget process and is responsible for expense control of assigned projects. Demonstrates sound cost-effectiveness.
- Typically has a minimum of 5+ years of hands on experience in information technology infrastructure, with strong aptitude with: software/solution development/delivery, Business Intelligence, Analytics, Big Data, Information Delivery, and/or Databases.
- Have a deep understanding of capabilities and the direction of technology and applications, coupled with an in-depth knowledge of the technology required and the needs of business environment necessary to support assigned application/function and/or projects
- Educated to BA, BS degree and/or level higher, a plus.
- Able to understand a 3 year Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) and Return on Investment (ROI) model for Cost Benefit Analysis CBA).
- Have the ability to interact and communicate both written and verbally with the Business Head and their Senior Management team.
- Strong written skills are required in the documentation of policies, procedures and standards as they apply to security. Must be able to help motivate team members and project owners to successful completion of required projects.
- Ability to create metrics, presentations and other documents as needed.
- Have the ability to manage and prioritize responsibilities through the effective use of time management and organizational techniques.
- Must be flexible and be able to manage several projects simultaneously. Must be able to work through cross-departmental situations, track performance, communicate expectations, anticipate and recognize problems and, when appropriate, escalate appropriately.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We actively promote a drug-free workplace.